OCT 6 1^*^/
DESCRIPTION OF NEW CARNIVORES FROM THE MIOCENE OF
By 0. A. Peterson.
While prospecting in the hiyer of fossil bones, which is exposed around "Car-
negie Hill" and "University Hill" in the Miocene formation on the upper
Niobrara River in Sioux County, Nebraska, with a view to opening additional quar-
ries/ the writer, assisted by Messrs. T. F. Olcott and A. A. Dodd, was extremely
fortunate in hndini^ in what is now called Quarry No. 3 (see Fig. 1, 3) various
Fig. 1. Agate Spring Fossil Quarries. 1-2, quarries Nos. 1 and 2, on Carnegie Hill ; 3, quarry No. 3 ; AM,
American Museum quarry on Carnegie Hill ; NU, Nebraska State University quarry on Uuivereity Hill ; A, quarry A.
(From a photograph by the author.)
remains of carnivora, among wliich is a nearly complete skeleton of a canid. The
material having been entirely freed from the matrix and prepared for mounting by
the skillful work of Mr. S. Agostini, the writer was entrusted by Director W. J.
Holland with the task of describing and illustrating the new material.
1 No quarries except quarry A had at that time (1904) been opened in these hills.